Pages

Favorites

Monday, June 17, 2013

My Review of The Englishman by Nina Lewis--3 stars out of 5

I don't like to negative reviews. I do like this book, but it was very hard to get into it. You have Anna who is the new professor and meets Giles who of course is the handsome colleague/mentor. They resist each other for the majority of the book. This is where I got frustrated because there was so much drama that happened at the school between their friends, other co-workers, neighbors, and students. Their was attraction but there was so much avoiding each other that I actually thought nothing was ever going to happen. Finally, the moment they get together it started to pick up some. I got so excited that they finally got together but then Anna starts pushing him away and then he becomes a love sick puppy. At this point, I really started to get upset with Anna because she was pushing him away so much, and quite mean to him. Then Giles is upset with her but still can't resist her or stop sleeping with her, even though Anna has treated him badly. During their time together all the drama kept going on. The ending finally came and it just ended with just a small glimpse of some happiness between them. There was also the problem of referencing so much literature authors, quotes, and etc...I almost felt like I needed to have a Masters in Literature. This is my personal opinion, and wouldn't want somebody to not read the book. It just wasn't my cup of tea..I guess. Also, I feel like I should give a shout out to the character Tim. He would always make me laugh, and I will admit Anna did too. However, he was more blunt or outspoken which helped me get through the book. I loved English when I was in school but always struggled with the classes with poetry and writing that was done in different time eras.

No comments:

Post a Comment