Pages

Favorites

Sunday, July 7, 2013

My Review for Saving Amy by Nicola Haken -- 5 stars out of 5







I don't even know how to explain my feelings for this book. It was an emotional roller coaster for me. The story made me cry, angry, heartbroken, sad, and it even made me laugh. This entire book was amazing. The pain and suffering that Amy went through was unimaginable. Any time I read a book where there is abuse (any kind of abuse), it is very hard to read because of my past. The author has to really understand abuse and know how to put it into writing for the reader to truly understand what they are feeling. It's so easy for people to believe that the victim of abuse should just get up and leave, when in fact it is NOT. In this book you watch Amy hit rock bottom, and slowly starts believing in herself. Of course, this has a lot to do with Richard Lewis the doctor that first treats her. There is a huge age difference between the two of them by 10 years. She is 18 where as he is 28. I had no problem with it, because the abuse she suffered and survived from didn't allow her to be the normal child. She had to raise herself, and I believe this is what captivated Richard. Even though she thought she was a weak person and didn't deserve to be alive, Richard saw beyond that. The love Richard had for her was truly heartbreaking, because it takes a strong person to love somebody that has been through the hell Amy went through. Yes I cried for her and for him. There struggles to stay together were hard to read because they truly were legitimate reasons that could break up a relationship like theirs. I don't even want to talk about Joanna. Richard's crazy ex-girlfriend, who is a counselor by the way. You almost want to punch her in the face, well maybe not almost. I think I would have because she caused so much trouble when their relationship was just starting, and kept stirring up problems until she gets a taste of her own medicine. I couldn't have been happier.

The story did have a few things that made you laugh. I loved the part when he took her to an amusement park. I laughed so much, and then at the very end when she was in the hospital. How she yelled at him to do the breathing, and her description of the pain she was feeling that was indescribable. I don't want to say why she was in the hospital, because I would like for you to enjoy the book and see how it ends. Once you read it and get to the epilogue you will know exactly what I'm talking about. I started this book at 11pm and finished it by 3am the next morning. I could not and would not put it down. I had to see it through the end, and I loved every part of it. The lack of sleep was worth it :) Bring out the tissues, alcohol, and chocolate. You will definitely need this while reading the book and after you finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment