Pages

Favorites

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Interview with Skye Turner author of Alluring Turmoil Coming Out September 13th

Hi Skye, I appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to answer a few questions for me. My goal is to have other readers get to see how awesome you are :) Here we go: 

1. When did you decide you wanted to start writing? The day I sat at the computer and started Alluring Turmoil. LOL. I never thought I wanted to write. I was the reader and the editor, not the writer. 

2. Which do you prefer more, writing or editing? I love to edit. I love helping authors perfect their work, but I have to be honest and say that I absolutely LOVE writing. It’s so exhilarating getting your own ideas, characters, and stories onto paper and ready for the world to see. 

3. How did this story Alluring Turmoil come to you? Jude and Lexi have been in my head for a long time, but I never really gave them much free reign. It was a snippet here and there, but I actually read a book, an inspirational romance, called “All For Anna” by Nicole Deese and I loved the way she wrote so freely about what was important to her. When her 2nd book came out, I read it and it just gave me the push to get Lexi and Jude out of my head and onto the laptop. By that point, they were pretty persistent anyway.

4. Are any of the characters based on real people you know? I had to laugh. Yes actually. Jude is based partly on features and characteristics of my husband, Adam Levine, and Eric Johnson (the sexy actor), but he’s a lot of my imagination too. Lexi and Bradi are actually a lot like me and my friends in a lot of ways. But of the 2 girls, Bradi would be more “like me”. 

5. Was this an easy story for you to write? In all honesty, yes it was. It just flowed. There was one scene that I completely threw out after writing one night for 4 hours, because something just felt off, but I am very happy with the scene that took its place. The first few sex scenes were a little strange to me though. I made myself blush a few times. 

6. Do you listen to music when you are writing? If so which songs inspired you the most? I actually do not listen to music when I write. I listen when I brainstorm and outline, but not when I’m actually writing. It would distract me and when I write, I’m in “the zone”. Alluring Turmoil does have a Playlist and it’s songs that remind me of parts of the book or mirror the emotions of the characters. Of the Playlist songs, I think Clarity by Zedd and It’s Not Over by Daughtry most reflect Jude and Lexi as a whole. 

7. I have to know…the tattoo itself is very creative. Did you picture the tattoo as you were writing about Jude or was there somebody that had a tattoo that helped you create Jude's tattoo? No, Jude’s tattoo is entirely my creation. It was in my head and it’s such an important part of the book, I needed it featured on the cover. My cover designer completely nailed my vision. It’s so perfect to the picture in my head it’s eerie.

8. I’m curious. Was it hard writing the Hot sex scenes? (I would be all hot and bothered….lol) Um, yes. Writing the first sex scene, I was so embarrassed. I sent it to 2 people and was like, “Is this ok? Does it suck? Is it too graphic? What do you think?” And I was reassured it was hot and perfect. Writing sex scenes is not an easy task. Especially when I think that people I know will read them. Lol 

9. How did you come up with Alluring Turmoil as the title of the book? Originally, I wanted to call it Beautiful Chaos, but there’s already a pretty popular book with that name, and there are so many “Beautiful” books out… I played around with it and decided I like Alluring Turmoil and it basically means the same thing. 

10. I know you are a full-time mom, and I bet it is difficult to focus while taking care of everything. How do you keep yourself from going crazy so that you can get into the zone of writing? I don’t. LOL. I’m actually pretty much insane. I just hide it well. I’m sort of kidding. Honestly, I don’t know how to relax. If I’m not doing 10 things and my life is not chaotic, I don’t know how to function. I’ve also gotten pretty good at listening to my kids and keeping an eye on them while doing 10 other things, so if they aren’t giving me the I “hurt myself and need the hospital” scream, then we’re good. 

11. Is your family supportive of your decision to start writing? My husband was actually working away from home when I started the book. He called home and I said, “Hey baby, I’m writing a book.” He said, “Yes, I saw that on Facebook.” My husband is amazing. He supports me 100% in everything I do, he’s also the person who can keep my from the brink when I get too overwhelmed. I’m a lucky lady. My parents are pretty great and supportive too. 

12. Will this book turn into a series based on different characters? If so how many do you think you may write in the series? Yes, Bayou Stix is the series and there are 5 band members, so there will be 5 books. 

13. What book are you currently reading? I’m currently reading 3 books: Origin (Lux #4) by Jennifer Armentrout, Wicked Wind by Sharon Kay, and Bully by Penelope Douglas. 

14. Do you have any advice to give to new writers that are barely getting into the business? Don’t allow anyone to tell you you can’t do it, but don’t think it’s easy. Writing the book is just the beginning. You are your biggest fan and your biggest selling point, so be prepared to WORK for what you want. Contact blogs and authors you admire and make friends. It’s important. 

15. Are there any authors that have inspired you with their writing? (famous or not) Yes, Nicole Deese, Nora Roberts, Gena Showalter, JoAnne Ross, Molly McAdams, Shelly Pratt, Alina Man, Glenna Maynard, and LL Collins. 

16. Any shout outs you might want to give when I post this interview? Roni asked me if I wanted to give any shout outs, so I’m going to! I’m going to thank one person who is NOT famous, but is 100% supportive and a great childhood friend, Thomas Noble. He read my book and he gave me honest, unbiased feedback from a male’s perspective, not many men will do that. He’s also always giving me encouragement and support and when people you’ve known your entire life do this, it means so much, so thank you Thomas! I appreciate you! And I’m going to give a HUGE shout out to Roni over at Book Fanatics! ;) She took on a book from an unknown author and has supported me from day one, so thank you Roni for everything you’ve done for me and also for this awesome interview! 


Okay well that is all I have for you today, and I wish you the best of luck on your book.  I know you will kick ass!! 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment