Pages

Favorites

Sunday, June 9, 2013

My review of Love Notes by Heather Gunter 4 stars out of 5

I was not prepared to cry with this book. The girl is Charlie and the boy is Maverick. I love these names. Very original:) The main Charlie suffered so much with her parents and the abuse she endured was horrible. Each time her dad spoke to her I saw red towards him and then felt pain for Charlie. Nobody and I mean nobody deserves to be treated in such a way. Unfortunately, this crap happens all the time behind closed doors. Anybody that turns their head the other way is just as responsible for the abuse. Yes sometimes it may be ignored by the authorities but it's better knowing that you tried to do something to help rather than nothing at all. I have a personal experience with something similar that was going on with a family member and yes some of them got mad at me and don't talk to me anymore. I don't care and I would do it again. As far as the verbal abuse, my ex talked to me the same way Charlie's dad did. This is the father of my only daughter. But you know what?? I took it for about 2 years and then finally I had a friend that was disappointed in me. She wasn't mad but disappointed which hurt worse...I finally woke up and said NO MORE!!!! I did exactly what Charlie did, and the moment she stuck up for herself is when I started crying. It takes a lot of strength to do something like she did. I remember being scared shitless and didn't think I could be a single mother but I finally realized I deserved to be treated better than the way he was treating me. This book was not just some love story about two young people. It had a very important subject matter written in it and I give a HUGE KUDOS to the author. I fell in love with Maverick and Tori. Maverick is in no way the typical jock, and I like that. The way he treats her and makes sure that she knows that she is beautiful and wonderful was so touching. I wish there were more Mavericks in my school:) Now I'm hooked and can't wait for the next book about Tori and Will. Something is there between them and I can't wait to find out what the deal is with Tori not giving him the time of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment